Thursday, February 10, 2005

Too Cool

My baby sis--the high-powered exec--is trying to "trickle down" some work my way. She's dangling a freelance editing job and I agreed to do a brief proposal and see if I get it.

Why not? Now that the shift project is done and I'm not teaching I need something to work on here at the Info desk when it's dead.

Also, her daughter (my fab niece) is so smart that at age 10 she's going off to summer brain camps at Penn State and Gettysburg College this summer. I did such a thing one time, in 7th grade, when I was chosen to attend a Science and Engineering camp for brainiacs--ok, NERDS--at Virginia Tech.

All I did was learn how to smoke pot and build a bridge out of toothpicks that was crushed by a machine. Mine withstood 87 pounds, which was second to Thony Pham's 103 pounds.

Hopefully my niece uses her brain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the fucking toothpick bridge....I didn't do that until 9th grade. But my teacher ran it on the honor system, meaning that I could just SAY I had come in at 71 pounds (the minimum for passing being 70) when actually the bridge had been destroyed by a badly placed bookbag before it could be tested. Ah....cheating and lying.

That story was clearly important.

Yay for freelance editing!

Emily

Geoff said...

I'm sure the "badly placed bookbag" weighed in the neighborhood of 70 pounds...

I was such a fraud--all those other kids actually cared and made their bridges interesting or beautiful. Mine was a squat box like a covered bridge. By the time I was interviewing for the Westinghouse engineering competition I was already thinking about switching to English as a degree because it's easier to be a fraud in the liberal arts.

Anonymous said...

cough cough