Tuesday, February 22, 2005

More Colbert



Again, TCM introduces me to a gem. Claudette Colbert is amazing (she shimmies out of her dress to reveal a sheer satin slip, tries to seduce Clark Gable, who's like: get the fuck away from me beyatch!). The dialogue is subtly filthy--when it appears Colbert will have to marry her fop fiance instead of studly Gable, she says to her groom-to-be that their marriage will be like a merry-go-'round, and "we'll never get off, will we? Promise me you'll never let me get off!" This saucy double-entendre with a sly ironic visage. Gable is remarkable, and I can see a young Archibald Leach modeling his His Girl Friday role off this performance. Good stuff.

2 comments:

Marc J. Hampton said...

Just on DVD: The Palm Beach Story. Colbert is superb, but I'd be interested to get your take on the writer/director Preston Sturges. He's an acquired taste.

Not on DVD: Colbert's "Midnight," where she's a penniless gambler walking around Paris in a full-length evening gown, and manages to sneak into high society. I can't remember if I ever lent that to you.

Speaking of slinky, fabulous dames, I picked up "Leave Her To Heaven" on DVD yesterday, if only to bask in the Technicolor glow of Gene Tierney, and play the drowning scene on a continuous loop.

Geoff said...

I've added Palm Beach Story and Leave Her to Heaven to my Netflix queue--I remember you showed me the drowning scene on laser at the old Brooklyn apt. a zillion years ago.

Midnight? Doesn't ring any bells, but sounds fantastic for the Colbert alone.