Tuesday, February 15, 2005

More Dreams

The apocalyptic and transformational dreams I'm having the past couple weeks are completely out of control.

Last night I dreamed I was at a live performance of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I angered the cast with several shouted Oscar Wilde witticisms that were a big hit with the crowd. At the end of the show, as the music faded, I yelled "It's not as good as the original!" and was carried triumphantly out of the theater and into the lobby, where photographers took pictures of me posing with the lead actor. There was some sort of tumult outside across the street, and I could see three men in what appeared to be a melee. "We should perhaps help them," I said to the actor, and then I saw a large buck struggling to regain its footing on the cobblestone streets. "Oh, shit," I said. "Those things can really hurt someone if they're spooked!" Sure enough, the deer got up and charged the men again, and there was a bloody mess. All of the men were obviously dead, one had been impaled by antlers and thrown high enough into the air to get caught up inside the works of an open garage door.

[At this point I woke up in fright, resolved to remember this dream, then went back to sleep because I knew there was more to come]

There's a long sequence in a haunted house of some sort, or a newly discovered haunted area of our house, but I can't remember details. Then I was preparing to go to work and I stopped to check on the dove. He was friendlier than usual, and upon closer examination I discovered he'd either been turned partially into a macaw, or he was a macaw someone had attempted to disguise as a dove, but his beak and the green and red feathers were obviously out of place.

[I woke up again at this point, and can remember no further details, though the dream definitely continued]

I went to bed unaccountably early last night--11pm. Because I typically don't work until 1pm, I stay up until 3am, but last night I was out at 11pm and up at 10:30. An un-heard of amount of sleep! I did wake up several times because of the dreams, but always went immediately back into a deep coma. I was out so long my back hurt when I finally got up.

This put me in a wonderfully surreal state of mind, and there was much wackiness at work today with Eskimo and Cathay Cone first commiserating and then arguing and then commiserating again before each uttered profane verbal eviscerations of the bosses. Then, in Francis' class, we watched of all things



which I'd never seen, and which I thorougly enjoyed, and in which are several images from my dreams last night.

4 comments:

Nick said...

Last night: Was in Vin Diesel's new situation comedy movie--he was my cop partner or something. He actually liked me off the set and we would chum around. I have no idea why because I kept calling him The Rock by mistake; I was mortified when shooting was wrapped and I finally realised what I had done. Much of the action took place in the old Blue Hen Mall in Dover Delaware; I was doing some weird stuff in some weird boutiques. everything had a fuzzed blue nostalgic color to it.


And, I really do not care for Dali but Un Chien...is superb. When breasts turn to ass it is a magic formula. Can you imagine seeing this film when it first came out? Not only was it an early film, for some it was the first time experiencing moving pictures! To see this huge closeup of Bunuel slicing---oh Man!! There were some outrages and faintings going on!

Exterminating Angel!!!!

Geoff said...

I agree about Dali (though I went through a Dali "phase," much like I went through a "Doors" phase) and Chien. I got the DVD from Netflix today because the VHS we watched in class was so crappy. The DVD is pretty crappy too but it's got a great interview with Bunuel's son--he tells a story about how much Charlie Chaplin liked Chien, and everytime he had his Chinese projectionist show the film there would be an audible "thump" from the projection booth as the Chinaman fainted.

Chapman invited Bunuel over for a Xmas party where everyone was to exchange gifts, but Bunuel and his surrealist friend thought that was way too bourgeois, so on a previously-agreed-upon signal they stomped the gifts and the tree and were kicked out.

Goofy as Dali's stuff is, I'm glad I was familiar with his paintings before I saw Chien.

Another good dream, BTW.

Nick said...

Neat stuff about Chaplin but I still don't like him for some reason. I'll have to make sure we get the new dvd here at the library.

Surrealists mean well but when will they realize that their performances drive all their friends away! Be Dada so that you won't be a lonesome empty shell at the end of your life, driven mad by the smell of crushed fir needles.

Thanks, I like remembering my dreams and reading yours. I usually don't so it is a treat. I'm this close to writing them down when I wake but that is really trite.

Have you ever read The Birds by Du Maurier? I read it this afternoon and was riveted. I liked it as much as Mysterious Stranger. Huh!

Geoff said...

Another story from the interview: Bunuel and Dali and a pre-selected young woman would arrange scenarios on public busses. Dali, dressed as a priest, would start to molest the girl on a bus, causing a scandal. Bunuel would get on the bus at a later stop dressed as a policeman and start dressing Dali down and saying "how could you, a man of the cloth?" Then he would arrest Dali and the three of them would get off the bus and drink beers in a cafe.

I've never read anything by du Maurier, but have heard (and read) good things about "The Birds" before.

I've tried writing down dreams but it's really, really hard to maintain, so I'll only bother when particularly powerful ones wake me up. This morning I had a doctor's appt at 10am so I set my alarm for 9. Cha woke me up at 7:30 and I at first thought I was late and went back to sleep and had terrible dreams about a bunch of disasters on the way to the doctor's office that made me late For example: I had a flat tire and I tried to inflate it with this tire pump we have that attaches to the cigarette lighter for power, but it started squirting water everywhere instead of air. Then my alarm went off and I had to piss.