Thursday, February 17, 2005

Decisions, decisions....

Sometimes I can stand in front of my bookcases for hours trying to pick a book to read. I did so the other evening and finally hit upon



and thought "I ain't read me no Twain in nigh on 20 years," and I took it down and commenced on the spot. In particular I'm reading Tom Sawyer, which, as soon as I started it, took me back to 8th grade English and Mrs. Cherundalo. I remember reading Twain's short fiction my senior year as an undergrad, and what an impression "The Mysterious Stranger" had; so dark, so sardonic, so unlike the Twain of "The Notorious Jumping Frog," etc.

Tom Sawyer breezes along; I know what happens, but still I'm compelled to keep going--this time the sentences, the wit, and the charm pull me along more than the narrative itself. I've been thinking lately that I should re-visit the early Yank giants; I'd like to hit Melville, Howells, Norris, and Wharton, filling in the gaps in my repertoire.

Too much to read. My biggest fear is to not read something I should have before I die.

4 comments:

Marc J. Hampton said...

I remember almost nothing about Frank Norris' massive "The Octopus," except that it was about the railroads, and it was hugely entertaining--as disillusioned as any American Realism. I don't think he's read much anymore. Have they even devoted a Library of America book to him?

"McTeague" is an ordeal, but fascinating if you've seen the movie "Greed." I bought "The Pit" but never got to read it, and it rests with the bulk of my book collection in the catacombs of Hickoryhurst Drive.

Twain's jumping frog thing was just unreadable in college--had no patience for it. I have been itching to re-read Huck Finn, though. The whole time I was a manager at Barnes & Noble I asked potential new hires one literary question: "Who wrote Huck Finn?" I think 10% of people knew it (the rest were banished to making lattes in the cafe).

Geoff said...

I remember McTeague fondly, most vividly the scene in the desert--and someday I'll have to see Greed, or what's left of it. I associate his stuff with Drieser, but if I remember correctly Norris fashioned a tighter sentence, while Drieser was better with structure.

I only read one Howells but loved it--The Rise of Silas Lapham. I wonder if the others are worth a shot?

God, if I ever have to interview/hire again I'll know I'm in Hell.

Nick said...

Good post--I aim to start 1601 and Letters from the Earth now. What about S. Anderson? He's still my favorite. Read a short by Vonnegut called Deer in the works and it was pretty good. Also reading Saki's Reginald stories but I need a collection with better notes; too many witticisms are just flying over my head. I'll have to research it up.

Geoff said...

re: S. Anderson--I re-read Winesburg, Ohio for the third time two years back, and taught "I Want to Know Why" in my lit classes last year as well. Cool cat. Love the story of how he quit his job in a paint factory to write.