Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Snow Day?

The Liberry is abuzz with the potential weather tomorrow:

E: I'm wearing my PJs inside-out and backwards tonight!
K: Ohh, good idea!
Me: *squinting in disbelief* They're only calling for two inches.
K: I saw Tom Tasselmeyer at the eye doctor and he says we're in for it.
Me: Yeah, it's one of those stupid storms we get that either sits offshore and dumps on us or scoots out with nothing. I'm not counting on anything--we'll get some rain, some sleet, some snow, but it'll be too warm.
E: I want at least one day off for snow this year! Even if we get 2 inches it's hard for me to get here, so I might not come in.
K: I think we'll get Friday at least.

Why am I so grouchy and cynical about the snow? Because if it snows tomorrow afternoon into tomorrow evening, I'm fucked, because they're very unlikely to close the University early and I'm here until 10pm, and Friday if they close the University I'm off anyway, so I get screwed. The timing of this snow won't help me, so I can't share the excitement.

More exciting than the snow? Our two microquakes this morning.

The higher-ups are moving my desk out of the Serials Office and to the HVAC storage room behind the info counter. In a way this is good--because I'm at the desk so much it'll be easier for me to do my cataloging and ordering work on Sundays and weeknights, and I'll be far far away from Eskimo most of the time now--but it's also too bright and too noisy out there, and the helpless people will annoy me with questions they should be able to handle at the desk but can't.

1 comment:

Marc J. Hampton said...

For fuck's sake. I've had 100 people ask me today about the impending snow we are supposed to get. WHO CARES? Nothing closes early, the subways still run, it's all plowed away within minutes. It's not like Maryland, where nothing gets plowed, and everyone perishes.

Worst thing is, my dog will not shit in the snow. So, she begs to go out, can't find her scent, doesnt poop, then comes back in the apartment. Then...begs to go out again.