Thursday, August 30, 2007

What they don't tell you

What they don't tell you in education classes fills volumes. They don't tell you how quickly you can fall for youngsters. How their failures and their misbehaviors can wreak havoc with you as you try to fall asleep at night. Or, better, how their successes and achievements can fill you with a swelling inordinate pride that also keeps you awake. I knew Maurice had it in him, you'll think, or I was right about Ikeira! And the next day they break your fucking heart.

And kids will tell you if they had some money they would buy shoes for their brothers and sisters, or they would make sure their grandma had a good home. Or they will tell you their brother is in jail or their brother got shot for standing in the wrong place at the wrong time.

And you're supposed to shrug it off and teach.

My world is a completely different place. I live and work on a completely different planet. I feel like I'm in a TV show or something.

No comments: