Wednesday, March 01, 2006

37 is the new 20



I don't know what's going on but I feel magnificent lately. Physically, that is. I had a miserably un-athletic fall with back and sinus problems and don't think I ran more than 30 miles between September and Christmas. Now I'm doing 20 miles a week and I feel great--this morning after class I ran 5.5 miles and barely broke a sweat. I've been lifting weights thrice a week, doing 100 crunches a day, and might increase to 25 miles a week around Spring Break (depending on my homework load and the weather).

Perhaps it's a mid-life crisis, but I'm nearly in the best aerobic shape I've been in since I was a teenager and captain of the track team. On Monday one of the Aunties asked if I was losing weight and I'm sure I blushed.

I've gotten cocky like this before--back in 2002 I was confidently working my way down to a five-minute mile when I rolled my ankle on a trail run and was out of commission for almost half a year. I'm sure some new catastrophe awaits.

This morning Cha went running for the first time ever. I left for Arabic class as she was doing reverse leg-lifts, face down on our big red ab sphere. This image has kept me agitated all day.

No comments: