Monday, March 07, 2005

Wow--70 degrees

Sometimes my stupid 1pm-10pm schedule doesn't suck; an example would be today. While all the other suckers in Tech Services had to work during a simply gorgeous morning, I was going for a run, cooking a marinated rainbow trout on the grill, reading on the patio with a glass of wine, and thinking: "If I worked 8-5, I'd have missed this entire day!" Even the fact that Wednesday we're supposed to get snow showers and a bitter cold front couldn't dampen my delight.

Because I neglected reading so much this winter, I'm starting to go nuts again, reading too many books at one time:



Very pleasurable--the "friction" that often exists in the act of reading, the knowledge that "I'm reading words now"--nearly vanishes here. Twain is so charming and ebulliant, so funny, and so powerfully descriptive that I actually lose all sense of time and awareness of the act of reading while experiencing this book.



My new hero! Or, I suppose I should say: My new heroine! This is my second foray into Doniger's many books, and rarely have I encountered writing so erudite, so packed with surprising and challenging associations, and yet so accessible. She's got one foot in Hollywood, the other in the Ganges, and is apt to use popular music and TV shows to explain myths and philosophical ideas at any time. Fantastic.



Yes, I started this a week ago and I'm only halfway through. Not as punishing as most modernist bruisers, but still a tough slog. Twain is a good counterweight to Mossman, who leans toward Faulkner and thereby loses any sense of humor. Still, despite some self-indulgent prose, a worthy trek.

5 comments:

Nick said...

Well besides it being a tad too warm for our taste I did enjoy a nice morning with T. I want to know what happened to all the snow days and sledding? What happened to the seasons around here?

"the "friction" that often exists in the act of reading, the knowledge that "I'm reading words now"--nearly vanishes here."

Yes, that's a wonderful point. That's what I look for.

Really enjoying Li'l Abner. The jury is back in on Dick's Autofac and loved it. Picked up Iconoclash again--I think you would really enjoy this. And Youth of the beast was freakin' excellent!

Geoff said...

Thanks for Iconoclash--it looks promising enough that I stashed it in my infinitely long Amazon shopping list.

I usually love winter, but after the last three I don't mind having a milder one. Of course it sucks for kids and all, but this isn't a concern for us!

Youth of the Beast is #293 in my Netflix queue.

Nick said...

We didn't have hills on the Eastern Shore so I've only just discovered the thrill of sledding. The Board of Education hill on Charles St. is my Nirvana!!!

293--WTF, I don't even think I've SEEN 293 films in my life!!!

Geoff said...

Man, when we lived in the Hereford Zone we used to slide on sheets of plastic down hilly ice roads at risk of life and limb. Insane!
We also were nuts in PA.

P. always wants to sled because she never got to as a kid either, and I'm too curmudgeony to do it now, though I told her if she bought a sled we'd go.

Nick said...

Ahh, you all should just come with us on the next snow day!!!! It really is a good time...