Friday, March 04, 2005

Netflix again...

Damn you Netflix for consuming all liesure hours!



I watched part one, The Blood of a Poet, last night. I'm going to watch it again today just to double-check, but this may be one of the greatest things I've ever seen. A series of allegories about the creative impulse, the suffering of poets, the trappings of cheap success, and the obstacles artists face and must overcome. I loved this much more even than Cocteau's other masterpiece, Beauty and the Beast, and can't wait for the other discs in the trilogy.

The disc also includes an excellent biographical documentary featuring interviews with Cocteau in which he tells stories, discusses his work, comments on contemporaries, and bares his soul.



I mean, yeah, I liked it ok, but this occasionally stilted biodocudrama isn't as good as Crumb.

9 comments:

Jane Hamsher said...

I recently saw Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast for the first time after all these years, and I've been on a documentary jag recently so this one sounds like the perfect combo. I will see it on your recommend!

I like your blog & link to it on mine. Just stopped by to say hi.

Nick said...

Yes, good for you that you've been able to explore deeper into Cocteau's stuff--good that he's two for two so far!

The comic A Splendor was an OK read so I wouldn't have expected much from the movie anyway. For some reason that slob Giamatti gets on my nerves.

As soon as I finish Youth of the beast I want Pasolini's Gospel and Nausicaa. Tough to find time.

Geoff said...

Thanks Jane for the note--I'd reciprocate a link but understand the profile block!

I watched Blood of a Poet again and liked it as much the second time. The documentary is longer than the feature, and also very good.

Netflix has some Pasolini--they're in my queue. They don't have the one I want to see most--Salo.

Nick said...

Naughty, naughty!!!

Salo might be a long time coming--even The Gospel... is only watchable here on VHS or some not so great region 0 NTSC disc. C'mon Criterion!!!

Geoff said...

Is The Gospel different from this?

Geoff said...

From an Amazon review of the above disc:

NOTE: Do not blame WaterBearer for the poor-quality DVD; the Pasolini Foundation, which controls the film, provided the print and also vetoed chapters to encourage viewers to watch it only in its entirety. The overly edge-enhanced image is improved by turning your TV's sharpness setting to its 'blurriest.'

Nick said...

Yes, chalk it up to laziness.

Hmm, yes foundations can be excellent, like the Barnes foundation...

more talk either way looks to be an amazing film

Nick said...

Yes, chalk it up to laziness.

Hmm, yes foundations can be excellent, like the Barnes foundation...

more talk either way looks to be an amazing film

Nick said...

I meant, No, they are one and the same.