Sunday, March 06, 2005

I just finished Harper's current cover story, AWOL in America: When desertion is the only option by Kathy Dobie, and couldn't help but think about Eskimo's son. He had no prospects, no skills, had failed out of community college, given up his classical music training, was unwilling or unable to get and keep a job, and hadn't even gotten his driver's license by age 20. The world's greatest slacker, living with his mom and attached umblilically to her and his XBox.

Instead of living in Eskimo's house and playing video games for all eternity, he decided to enlist. In the Marines. And they took him, despite the dreads, the lack of skills, the history of psychiatric problems and therapists and medications. And now he's going to be a soldier, whereas a few weeks ago he went with other war protestors to raise hell at W.'s second inaugural. Reading in Harper's about the lies recruiters tell made me fear for Eskimo's boy--he was assured a position as a mechanic and told he wouldn't have to fight if he didn't want to. This was no small consolation to Eskimo herself. But there's no question the Marines will do whatever they want or need to do with him now that he's at Paris Island.

Perhaps this is his path--for some it's a necessary thing, a valuable experience. I hope that's so in his case. What happens to others is truly horrible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOD DAMN

Nick said...

I'll have to read it, whenever we get the damn thing in. Seems like we only just got the Feb issue here...grumble.

Yes, assurance from the military. My sister in law's husband:

did hardship tour of 18mos away from family in S. Korea to get stationed in Hawaii for four years.

two mos. after moving to the islands gets called to Afghanistan for a year. Now finishing up that but will only be home for 2 mos. before shipping out to Iraq.

He seems to be OK with it but I think that's messed up myself--and that's not even an extreme case I'm sure. Also very hard on the family.

Geoff said...

There are no guarantees in that career, that's for sure. My friend MA's brother had a great run as a C-130 pilot during the '90s, though. He had a sweet house in Bavaria (paid for), a car (paid for), worked one 12-hour shift a week, got a fat salary, and spent 8 years touring around Europe learning four languages.

Of course there were no wars during his tour.

Nick said...

That's right--it can be that way--even I had thought about it. The risk factor was too much for me. Gotta go watch Sgt. York!

Geoff said...

Yeah, I came close to going the Naval Academy route. I even had my Congressional recommendation lined up, all the physical tests passed, and then I started smokin' doob and went to Loyola instead.

The risk never bothered me so much as the idea of having to kill. Very distasteful.

Nick said...

Well, that's what I meant by my Sgt. York reference--when it comes down to it would I be able to kill even in self defence?????