Monday, May 22, 2006

Netflix



This was the first film Cha and I saw together at the movies. We were, hmmm, 18 and 21? I think she'd only seen ET and Elvis flix on TV at that point, and I probably scared her to death with this date movie choice. Nick Cage bashes some guy's brains out in the first five minutes.

At any rate, I have a soft spot in my heart for Wild at Heart. Not only was this my first exposure to David Lynch, but its nutcase characters allowed great actors to go over-the-top: Isabella Rossalini, Crispin Glover, Diane Ladd, Harry Dean Stanton, Nick Cage, Willem Defoe (as the legendary Bobby Peru), and the electric Laura Dern in perhaps the sexiest performance I've seen on film--all are memorable here.

Sure, the plot is a Univision soap opera on LSD, but who the fuck cares? It's funny, it's horrifying, it's curiously sexy--it's Lynch. Elvis and The Wizard of Oz and heavy metal. Cha and I still reference Lula and Sailor whenever we hear jazz on the car radio.

No comments: