Friday, October 01, 2004

A New Day

Of course the President would never time aggressive, tough-guy military operations to coincide with the debates...Kerry should've more forcefully used Bush's decision to attack Fallujah and then his decision to not attack at the last minute during the debate.

I slept like a stone last night, after staying up until 2am reading political blogs and casting votes in online polls and watching Fox,MSNBC, CNN, PBS post-coverage. I also drank a half bottle of merlot and had great fun cheering at things like a Wall Street Journal editor who scored the debate a huge victory for Kerry.

Perhaps my agitation the last few days was Nietzschean in origin: too much Appollo of late, and not nearly enough Dionysus. I drank at Mick O'Shea's and then again last night, and realized that I very rarely drink more than a glass of wine anymore. I may simply need to blow off some steam

The air was crispy when I left work last night, and I love autumn weather. This morning was gorgeous! My students had great things to say about Kafka, despite the wave of loathing that washed over me when I handed out the quiz. I ran into Pseudo-Flea (an old friend from Rouen I'd not seen in two years), and other strange experiences walking home which made me happy. Then, a NYTimes editorial this morning called Bush's aspect during the debate "downright petulant." YES. Sighing, eye-rolling--seems like just yesterday that those behaviors cost someone points in a debate. Oh wait, it was. My students (especially the ones who've had me for other classes) were asking about the debates last night. I try not to take sides in front of the class, though I was pleased to note those who'd watched thought Kerry whooped up on Bush.

Today I'm doing NOTHING. NOTHING I tells ya. I should rake leaves and tidy up the house, but NO.

No comments: