Sunday, October 03, 2004

DC Visit

Had a pleasant visit to DC with the Travelin' Joneses yesterday. Hadn't seen them in months (actually, haven't seen ANY of the Old Crew in months--Sluggo, Buf, etc).
Got to hang out with Startling Sam, who vies with my niece for brightest youngster I know ("It's ok to leave crumbs here," he told me, eating a Granola bar on the steps before the Lincoln Memorial. "Because the birds will eat them?" I asked. "Yes, the birds," he said wistfully. "And the Unknown Creatures."). He showed us all the bugs in his book at home at the Smithsonian, and speculated openly and cleverly about machinery and skeletons. He asked as we walked back along the Mall if we were heading the right way, then said we must be because the pond with ducks was on the other side now; he even recognized a tree he'd looked at before, The Slanty Tree.

All remarkable in a young brain. Of course, all young brains are remarkable. Sam's brother Drew is no exception; he had a rough patch on the train (Sam sagely intoned as Drew screamed "We all get grumpy at times, but sometimes it's best to keep it inside and not let others see.") after which he took a nap and quickly his enthusiasm for bugs ("hey, that scorpion has a backhoe on it") and dinosaurs took control.

It was a nice day, and we saw a lot. I'm reminded that I desperately want to get to the Native American Museum when the crowds die down a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That museum is just beautiful on the outside (and within spitting distance of my building), but I read a bad review of its actual contents on Slate somewhere. I want to visit too, though.

- Em

Geoff said...

I've heard disparaging rumors as well--fuck it, I'll still go. We went to the Smithsonian Castle for the first time in years--they've really brightened it up! Gone is all the dark dinginess. Of course the redesign focuses on adolescent interaction, but that's a plus for most Americans.

Nick said...

I saw a booger mask made out of a hornet's nest in a magazine article on the museum. That's enough to get me to go. Sometimes the intent and logic of an exhibit can undermine the power of the treasures themselves. When that happens take it your way and enjoy. I think the outside looks great too but any resolution between them and the original architect? They had some rough dialogue going on a while back.