Thursday, October 28, 2004

City Paper goes Green

Strange last night to look up at the progressing eclipse only to see a doubled glowing thumbnail. I took off my glasses and looked with unaided eyes at the moon and it was only moderately better—I had to close one eye to see a single moon. I found my binoculars and was able after much fiddling to watch the eclipse clearly, but it was an effort. It’s bad news to not be able to see the fucking moon.

Time to face facts. I’m getting fucking old as shit. Next I’ll be holding books far away or really close, doing what my parents do when confronted with reading material. My mom will hold her People magazine at arm’s length to read it, and that’s after she’s already tried to see it with her trifocals on. Any font smaller than 12 and my stepdad simply gives up and asks my mom to read it for him.

I did what I always do when I think about ageing: I ran 3 miles and lifted weights today. Next it’ll be Lasic surgery and liposuction under my chin.

Strange to read in the Baltimore City Paper this week that some Greens we know got endorsements in City Council races. Rumor has it The Sun may endorse one as well. Fuck the Democrats on the Balto City council—rarely has such racketeering and nepotistic corruption been tolerated for so long. Boot ‘em out. The last couple weeks the CP gave some significant coverage to Green candidates Paul Dibos and Myles Hoenig (I urge Baltimore City voters to support these two in particular--I know them both and they're great, committed activists who aren't in this to get all their cousins contracts, but because they actually have a vision about making Baltimore a healthier, safer, more democratic town--hell, vote for your Green candidate in all the local districts).

Cha’s Green fundraiser Constellation party got covered by the WaPo as well.

2 comments:

Nick said...

Sir, that is exactly my intention on that fated day. I thank you for reassuring me of the caliber of their character. Actually I have heard, MD not being a swing state, that it might be appropriate to do so for the big cheese also. I'd prefer it to be a landslide "victory salute" to the current big cheese--what do you think?

Geoff said...

I'm abandoning my third party idealism this time around in the national election. Kerry sucks in many ways, but compared to Bush he's Messiaen, Buddha, Ramsey Campbell, PN, Prince Kropotkin, Stanley Kubrick, and Joe Campbell rolled into one. I'm voting 3rd party for the local stuff and Kerry for Pres, even though it's safe here in MD to pull the lever for Cobb or Nader or whoever the Libertarian guy is this time around.