Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Brrr

Ok, it's way too early for this kind of bonechilling cold. I get up in the morning and it's freezing in the house, and when I'm home between school and work I've got slippers, sweatpants, and thick wool sweater on. You see, we have an oil burner and I'm a bit nervous about turning it on before absolutely necessary, given that our heating costs were about 25% higher last year than the previous year, and "they" are saying the heating bill may be 35-40% higher this winter than last. Jesus. Poor Cha's got it tough because she doesn't tolerate cold nearly as well as I do.

We need new windows, doors, and attic insulation ASAP. One of our tilt-down windows (probably from the '80s) tilted down of its own accord; turns out the mechanism broke, so I have to hold it up using little widgets and the latch (it's the top pane). Several of them are malfunctioning, and during the winter air blasts in around the vapor locks, all long unsealed.

I took a lazy half-day at the Library and lounged around watching TV before taking a glorious two-hour nap. Ahhhhh. This morning in ENGL263 I lectured about academic dishonesty and told them "You have a 24 hour amnesty to keep this between ME and YOU--if I don't get apologetic emails from those who knowingly stole stuff off the internet, this will be between the DEAN and YOU, with really yucky consequences." All three students I'd busted were there--they got the message, and several others stayed after class to say "I looked at some sources and thought about what they said but didn't take anything from them," which I reassured them was ok. I'm not sure why I took this tack this year; last semester I kept the sole plagiarizer after class when I handed back the essay and gave her an ultimatum: "Admit what you did or I take your paper to the Dean now." If I hear from the students I'll have them sign a pledge of some sort never to steal ideas again, and I'll let them write a new paper on a different topic with a 2-letter-grade penalty. The Dean would likely fail them in my class and put them on probation, which stays on the transcript.

Did I generalize the stern disappointed lecture to the whole group because:

I wanted to ensure that everyone in the group thought about plagiarism, and I was hoping that other writers about whose papers I had doubts, but whose source material I couldn't find would be "scared straight"?

or

I don't want to spend 20 minutes each confronting the students I had dead to rights because of the time factor, or because it would bullying, or because I didn't want to hear excuses?

or

I'm a coward who'd scold the entire group rather than simply confront those who were to blame.

I thought about these issues beforehand, and changed my mind three times about how I was going to handle the situation (including just passing the papers and the source materials to Dr. Duncan and washing my hands of the whole affair). But, some people have reasons for such behavior above and beyond simple laziness or dishonesty; it may be the first mistake they made, or they may not have understood the plagiarism policy, or gramma might have gone in the hospital and they ran out of time, etc. etc. I didn't make my decision about putting it out in front of the class until the very last minute when I found myself bringing it up after our Hemingway discussion.

How do we make these decisions? Obviously many processes beyond conscious control were at work as I churned over this dilemma. I only "thought" consciously about my approach three times between Thursday and Tuesday, and for a total of an hour, and when I'd last "thought" about it I'd left my options open and the issue unresolved. What decided it? Now I've got to figure out if I think this was the right or wrong way to do it.

Or, I can simply stop teaching after this semester...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Duncan: "DANG IT, AH WARNED YA'ALL ABOUT CHEATIN'!"

I think you did the right thing. Obviously some people are not getting the message about plagiarism. Making it clear to the class that you won't tolerate it protects you AND them, and might make them be more scrupulous (like the kids that approached you) in the future.

Em

Nick said...

Hey--on a previous topic you stated that the Bush's wealth is far greater than the Heinz-Kerry's. My boss wants to know where you got that info--she's most certainly anti-Bush but she was under the impression that Kerry is wealthier since his marriage. Says she read that in Time. If you can give me some more info that would be great.

Working hard here at the office...

F.L.

Geoff said...

Em--your Duncan impression is spot-on. Anyone getting that lecture would be distracted by a tie with medieval popes on it.

FL--I wasn't clear in the original post. Heinz-Kerry are wealthier (by far) than George-Laura Bush; it's the Bush family (poppa in particular) in toto that is more wealthy than the Kerry clan. GHWB declared his worth at only $70 million in the mid-eighties, but gave more than twice that to Yale University! I read in either Harper's or The Nation that his true worth is nearly a billion--George jr. and Jeb and Neal and Prescott Bush all add to up less than $50 mill together (I think the Heinz fortune is like $800 million). George grew up super-rich, John grew up affluent and married serious money. It just aggravates me that people think of Kerry as an effete rich guy and Bush is some down-home good ol' regular guy.

Anonymous said...

My favorite quote from him is in grammar class, regarding the "not ending a sentence with a preposition" thing:

"That is a SPURIOUS RULE, ya'll!"

Hee hee-

Em

Geoff said...

I took Olde Englische with him for about 6 weeks but dropped it out of exasperation (he never actually taught the class. All we did was read the text for homework and then read it again outloud when we came to class. Then, he told charming anecdotes). Somehow he managed to have a southern accent reading 1200 year old accounts of Viking invasions.

Nick said...

Thank you for replying Sir! That actually confirms what I was thinking about his creepish old daddy. Oh, and any thoughts on purchasing Smile? I could be convinced to procure a copy from our nearest phonograph shop if you had any interest in the package.

Staggers off to the company liqour cabinet...

F4VLT'/ L4ND5<4P3

Nick said...

Meaning, good Sir, that I would be buying said disc for you as a gift. I believe much enjoyment would result.

Cheers,

PR0F3550R F. L4ND5<4P3
w441 E L0ND0ND3RR'/
swvP09

Geoff said...

I'd surely like to hear Smile, but don't go giftin'! Ain't no call for such behavior. I'd rather have that MJ album w "Don't Stop 'til you Get Enough"

Nick said...

Surely, Sir, you are referring to none other than "Off the Wall", which is a fine masterpiece in it's own right! Of course, I would feel no regret in scorching a fascimilie of that platter for you--if I still owned it. Alas, I used to have a "half-speed" master of that recording but was forced to sell it as collateral against my soul. One fine day in the not so distant past, whilst driving the combustible vehicle known as the "Chevy truck" down route "eighty-three" to my bachelor pad, I was offering my own accapella version of said song. To my immense embarrassment catcalls to my left awakened me to the very fact that I was being mooned by some punks who did not enjoy my falsetto...sigh!

Anywho, the reason for wanting to give you this Smile is that I feel it is most important for you to experience the pleasure that it has to offer. I was hoping to sway you, if you were on the fence about approaching it. I W!LL N0T burn said artifact as I feel I owe Mr. Wilson something for having partaken of forbidden sound recordings of this troublesome piece for many years. Also, while he is certainly not in dire need of funds I would hope that strong sales would perhaps cheer him up a bit and give him a feeling of knocking one out of the park!

Geoff said...

There's nothing quite so edifying as finding oneself lost in the throes of sing-a-long car song when an amused passerby either mimics or pokes fun and thus destroys the moment.

Yes, yes, "Off the Wall" if I recall correctly would indeed be the name of said digitally encrypted transfer of MJ's formerly vinylized caterwauling. I saw with the sound down a video of Marshall Mathers mimicking said MJ by crawling around on the floor looking for his nose which had dropped off, rendering him undissimilar to those entities of which you hoped to evoke a reminiscence at last year's Halloween bash. Then said video portrayed MM as MJ on a bed with young boys and red satin sheets. Not quite as funny as MM as Elvis pooping out a candybar...

As for your so kindly offer to purchase a Smile for me, I indeed would approve said gesture only were you to offer a title of your own you'd like to own that I could reasonably assume the musician deserved a purchase rather than pirated copy of said materials.

Yours, Sir, with Kindly Regards

Anonymous said...

Hilarious, he did Medieval Brit Lit in exactly the same way. Very little teaching actually occurred. And yet I have warm memories. - Em