Thursday, October 21, 2004

Netflix

I love Netflix. I've seen many great classic and obscure films that Movie Time video or my local Blockheadbuster would never stock, and all for $22 a month--much better than paying for cable or pay-per-view.

The latest:



is worth watching if you're a fan of bad horror films that have some scary scenes. This one is disturbing because it's got dolls and mannequins all over the place, and I hate dolls and mannequins because they make me piss myself in dread. And yes, the amazing brunette with the arctic blue eyes IS Donna's mom from That 70s Show.



was better and more disturbing than all the reviews I read suggested. Particularly good performances, and a horrifyingly simple plot. The film enraged me because I stand in front of these kids every morning at 8am--overly stimulated, overly privileged, and under-educated punks who think the universe revolves around them and fuck everyone else. The same fuckheads were dropped off by the score by clueless parents at the Towson Commons each weekend when I managed Borders. Catch one shoplifting or vandalizing? "How dare you accuse my son/daughter of that. S/he is a good kid, and would never engage in such behavior." Whatever. I recommend this film--tho I'm not a parent, nor do I plan to be--and it reaffirmed my decision.



I only watched an hour of it on my break today, but so far it's fucking good. Dylan slinks around observing and making oblique comments about an alternative reality that's all-too-similar to our own. Just watching his squinty crevassed face under that absurd hat is worth it for me. The movie is much like a long Dylan allegory a la "A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall" or "Desolation Row." The cast is spectacular:

Bob Dylan ... Jack Fate
Jeff Bridges ... Tom Friend
Penélope Cruz ... Pagan Lace
John Goodman ... Uncle Sweetheart
Jessica Lange ... Nina Veronica
Luke Wilson ... Bobby Cupid
Angela Bassett ... Mistress
Steven Bauer ... Edgar
Michael Paul Chan ... Guard
Bruce Dern ... Editor
Ed Harris ... Oscar Vogel
Val Kilmer ... Animal Wrangler
Cheech Marin ... Prospero
Chris Penn ... Crew Guy #2
Giovanni Ribisi ... Soldier
Mickey Rourke ... Edmund
Richard C. Sarafian ... President
Christian Slater ... Crew Guy #1
Susan Tyrrell ... Ella the Fortune Teller
Fred Ward ...Drunk

and the sets and cinematography rival anything out of Lynch. Can't wait to get home and finish it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Man Eating Chicken" was a funny, goofy touch.

Uncle Sweetheart was a parody of Dylan's first manager Albert Grossman.

The final voice-over was great - "people think that they're killing time, but time is killing them".