Thursday, January 04, 2007

"to lift up my life a trifle."



I'd seen the old animated cartoon as a child, and remember Paul Lynde as the rat's voice. I'd never, however, read the book until now. I needed what we call a Listening Comprehension text for a month-long lesson; something for the teacher to read to the class each day and to use to model analytic and language skills for the students before their independent reading tasks.

When I finished it I had to discreetly close my office door and utilize several sub shop napkins in lieu of a hanky.

It will take the most cynical and worn classroom veteran to get through those last two chapters without snuffling in front of the class. I'm a mess trying to type the damn lesson plan.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That fucking LAST LINE! I could cry right NOW!

(For those who also want to cry:

"It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both."

Emily

Geoff said...

Please stop. I'm blubbering anew.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte's web was one of the defining books of my childhood. I couldn't believe how much I cared for that spider. It surprises me how many people have never read this.

And congrats on the house offers...don't be so quick to accept the first good offer there may be better ones coming!

Geoff said...

We accepted the first one because it was for what we asked and they waved the right to an inspection. Plus, they had the money--a 1-A contract.

We probably could have gotten other offers but there's a chance we could have ended up with less money. We talked to your Mom and my Mom (who's a real estate agent) and both of them said we'd be crazy not to take asking price. The buyers wanted a response within 24 hours or they were withdrawing their bid (likely because they wanted to prevent a bidding war).

It's like Deal or No Deal, but we're whimps.

Anonymous said...

I read this book a couple of times as a kid, probably more. I don't remember details anymore, but thinking about it certainly triggered an emotional response. Weird, that.

Geoff said...

At one point Wilbur says to Charlotte: "And to think when we first met I thought you were bloodthirsty and cruel!"

Awwwwww.

Anonymous said...

OK, w/r/t this quote, Wilbur is more than a little fey, right? With the fainting?