Friday, January 12, 2007

Quoth Choketh the Ravens

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Much I marvelled this ungainly fowl to hear discourse so plainly, Though its answer little meaning - little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing bird above his chamber door -
Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
With such name as `Nevermore.'

But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow will he leave me, as my hopes have flown before.'
Then the bird said, `Nevermore.'


Everyone in the office is resplendent in purple regalia. I saw people with painted faces waiting at the bus stop this morning as I strolled by. Watch the only NFL team whose mascot bears a literary provenance (well, aside from the Titans, I suppose) defeat those traitorous Colts tomorrow.

5 comments:

Heather said...

I accidentally wore purple today. I hate football! But I sure do fit in with the rest of my office, and the rest of the Baltimore metro area, I guess.

Geoff said...

I've grown largely indifferent to football. I'd completely forgotten the impending playoff mania until this morning. Some co-workers were just shaking glittery silver and purple pom-poms in the fourth-floor kitchen.

Anonymous said...

mmmm..... pom poms! aaaarrrrrghhhh!

Geoff said...

Easy there big fella. These are mostly former elementary school marms transferred to educational non-profit work after years of burnout.

Anonymous said...

I meant the hostess cakes, you perv!
of course THOSE are suggestive too