Tuesday, December 12, 2006

#93



I'll give Palahniuk the initial story in Haunted. "Guts" is great fun, a hallmark of liberated and exhilerating trash. Nothing else in this turgid clunky book comes close to its frenetic and gleeful grotesquerie.

Save yourself 390 pages of awful-to-beneath average short stories and what likely ranks as the worst poetry ever perpetrated outside the planet Vogon. Read "Guts" at the shelf in your local chain bookshop and put Haunted back without buying it.

Sorry, Chuck. That's two strikes. Yer out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha
no better, huh? I liked mr whittier's story too (the angels of mercy)

oh well... you're way too smart to be reading such drivel anyway

:) jv

Geoff said...

I wouldn't call it drivel--there were other potentially good stories in Haunted, but the execution didn't move me.

As for 'smart'--hell, no. I cut my teeth on Steve King and Lovecraft and Clive Barker. I enjoy schlock movies and sometimes watch infomercials for entertainment.

I can be picky, I suppose.