Wednesday, April 16, 2008

netflixed



Just great. We haven't watched a TV series on DVD since Freaks and Geeks, and now we're completely hooked on BSG, despite the fact we have almost no free time for watching it now. (She rushed home after work to watch an episode with me before I went to class at Notre Dame and before she went to her mom's.)

We finised the miniseries in a couple evenings and are fully involved in season 1 at this time. The Mrs. was a bit reluctant when I told her what I'd Netflixed, but she likes it even more than I.

I must admit avoiding it for quite some time, despite some trustworthy sources raving about it online, because I remember the campy movie and TV series from the '70s. But BSG is excellent TV, and is a remarkable artistic response to post-9/11 Bush Administration America. I love when the President asks Edward James Olmos to use the military to quell a rebellion over water rationing, and he says "The military is supposed to defend against external enemies. The police protect the people. When the military become the police, it tends to make the people the enemy."

Most of the best characters are chicks, and lovely ones at that. Highly recommended.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uhh, can I say, I told you so? All sorts of fun echoes of current America, torture, religious fanaticism, militarism, plus standard albeit dark SciFI stuff. My missus likes it a lot too, once I forced her to watch a few episodes.

Geoff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Geoff said...

You are indeed one of the "trusty online sources." I think when I was last between TV series that there was some discouragement on blogs about season three. This pushed it further down on my queue.

So far, however, so good.