Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sucka

I often arrive late to the party when it comes to new technology. I held my vinyl-only ground until about 1989. I signed up briefly for an Internet account via Sears in the early '90s, then dropped it when I saw that only Star Trek goons were online.* I didn't get another home email/online account until sometime around the turn of the millenium.

Same goes with iTunes. I don't have an MP3 player. I never downloaded a song until last week from iTunes, when I started searching for a song to use in class.

Now I curse iTunes, and the money they've sucked from me. Every bit of spare time I have is spent searching for weird albums I can't find at Soundgarden or Record and Tape Traders. iTunes is the greatest thing ever, and I fucking despise it.

That's why I'm reluctant to try new things until they're quite old. I get a bit obsessed.

*I was on the Internet for the first time in 1983. It was the summer after 7th grade, and I was at Virginia Tech for Science and Engineering camp. We built toothpick bridges, played with computers, played softball, and smoked lots of...ah, er...hams. Yeah, that's the ticket. Hams. Back then there weren't even Trekkies online. VT students were emailing Monty Python skits to each other on screens which only displayed a BASIC prompt and green text. I witnessed this behavior. It was the first time I ever heard of "The Philosopher's Song."

No comments: