Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Weekend Recap

Friday we went to Mick O'Shea's for the monthly routine. Fried food/beer/shot of Dewar's/beer/Seamus shooter/beer/beer/beer/beer, repeat. Yahtzee, It's Australian for Beer, The Seoul Shiksa, and Pork Heaven joined us. Pork Heaven, who used to be able to hold his liquor, was again hammered within 20 minutes and actin' a fool. Cha and I took turns dancing with him to keep him from falling into Earthdragon or KP or Dr. Rock. He put It's Australian for Beer's red cape on and danced like a vampire at one point, and Seoul Shiksa said "Your brother either went to a lot of punk shows or he's gay." Then, she denied saying it.

He gave me a copy of



with a long inscription on the inside cover (it started "Oh brother, oh brother, such wonders lie herein..." or somewhat). He was pushing this Codrescu on me in upstate NY last summer. I recall it vividly because we were baked on the boat in a reedy canal and he looked over at me and asked what eschatological meant and I told him and he showed me a passage in the book about how language was an alien that fell to earth and was eaten by monkeys.

So I'm reading it now and it is pretty fucking good; I rarely laugh outloud while reading, the last time was during



when I would laugh so hard the bed would shake Cha awake and she'd ask what was so goddam funny but I could never explain it. So far I've had a couple solid chortles in this one.

But yeah, whatever, Mick O'Shea's--I remember Yahtzee showing cat pictures to It's Australian for Beer, and then he was showing a picture of he and I with long hair taken at King's Dominion in like 1993 and I tried to remember 1993 but couldn't.

Sunday we had It's Australian for Beer, Seoul Shiksa and her BF, and Virginia Monologues over--Virginia Monologues was Nader's MD campaign chair and I told her to give Ralph a hard time because I'd seen in the Post that morning that he was trying to make money selling his mom's cookbooks or something. Virginia Monologues had a brief hot fling with the drummer from Seamus. Very brief. And very hot.

What do a bunch of hard-core lefty activists do when they get together on a snowy Sunday? Play cut-throat Monopoly.

No comments: