Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Damn Paper

I've got almost four out of ten pages for my French paper done--it takes me about 45 minutes to craft a French paragraph, looking up every other word in the dictionary, checking my tenses in the grammar. What bullshit. The topic I chose at least interests me: Sartre, in his autobiography Les Mots, insists that the fact his father died when he was an infant left him without a super-ego. This intrigues me, and is perhaps a clue to Sartre's ideas about absolute freedom and how dreadful it is. I'm primarily interested, however, in how someone without what we usually refer to as a 'conscience' could turn out to NOT be some sort of psycho/socio-path. But translating my thoughts drags me down. If I do 2 pages Wed, and 2 Thurs, I'll be almost there--2 on Friday morning will get me over the border and into the end of the semester. The paper is due Friday. I've also got two big stacks of essays coming in Thursday and Friday, not to mention journals--I'll be a grading machine this weekend.

But then--not-so-dreadful freedom! The library will be a piece of cake job without having to teach every morning.

No comments: