Thursday, December 02, 2004

Still good



This is one of the first movies I ever saw in the theater, and I hadn't seen it since that first time. It's amazing that several images stuck with me for nearly 30 years, including Spacek waking up to the news of Patsy Cline's demise, Doob's dramatic house plans in an empty field, the hotel honeymoon, and a bunch of upholler youngins getting new shoes from Sears Roebuck & Co.

I love when people say "dawgumbit" and "tan those hides" and "I doan wancho gettin' on me 'n sweatin' jez like the old hawg." Takes me back to my hick upbringing (the vernacular, not the "getting on top of me and sweating like a hog").

Sissy Spacek rocks, as does Tommy Lee Jones. One of them still has integrity as an actor.

Loretta Lynn's biopic also reminds me how country music used to be good. I watched me 10 minutes of CMT yesterday and nearly barfed over a song about those little pamphlets in the Pennysaver circular featuring missing kids called "Paper Angels." Even worse was some twaddle featuring Shania Twain in a duet about a party for two. She's clearly the most loathsome thing going right now in terms of trite pop. This is country?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah, it's Nashville.

I think real country is now referred to as "roots music".
Delightful.

Nick said...

I take it you don't enjoy Big 'n' Rich either! I doon't know what's worse, the hi[psters embracing that or Jack White's filthy paws all over Loretta Lynn. Crap. What, you think Spacek sold out with The Straight Story?

Geoff said...

Yeah, it's Spacek I'm trouncing while Jones stars in The Fugitive and The Hunted!

Kenny Rogers has been pushing that Whyte/Lynn shit for a year. I heard a couple tracks and upchucked my spleen.