Monday, November 15, 2004

William Golding

I have dealt at length with my teachers because this was my introduction to the nature of what is commonly called thought. Through them I discovered that thought is often full of unconscious prejudice, ignorance and hypocrisy. It will lecture on disinterested purity while its neck is being remorselessly twisted toward a skirt. Tehcnically, it is about as proficient as most businessmen's golf, as honest as most politicians' intentions, or--to come near my own preoccupation--as coherent as most books that get written. It is what I came to call grade-three thinking, though more properly, it is feeling, rather than thought.

True, often there is a kind of innocence in prejudices, but in those days I viewed grade-three thinking with an intolerant contempt and an incautious mockery. I delighted to confront a pious lady who hated the Germans with the proposition that we should love our enemies. She taught me a great truth in dealing with grade-three thinkers; because of her, I no longer dismiss lightly a mental process which for nine-tenths of the population is the nearest they will ever get to thought. They have immense solidarity. We had better respect them, for we are outnumbered and surrounded. A crowd of grade-three thinkers, all shouting the same thing, all warming their hands at the fire of their own prejudices, will not thank you for pointing out the contradictions in their beliefs. Man is a gregarious animal, and enjoys agreement as cows will graze all the same way on the side of a hill.


From "Thinking as a Hobby"

I've taught this essay a dozen times by now, but for some reason it's taken on new meaning lately. I'm tempted to explore these new meanings in class tomorrow...

4 comments:

Nick said...

Grade ThreeOne tenth

Geoff said...

Hmmm...The Danilowicz Shaft is in Cheney's pants!
Eskimo was just telling me about that underground house last Thursday!
"Masters of War" rules; nothing has changed since it came out!
I have nothing to say about a guy with 900,000 songs--but I might have a tenth that number of MPEGs, heh heh.

Nick said...

The guy w/mp3s is an idiot--he thinks he's saving music from the jihad against Western civilization. 900,000 squiggles on a hard drive won't do you much good if the power goes out bub!!

That band should have encored with War Pigs. Which my friend vehemently hates. He says "You can't rhyme "masses" with "masses", that's just dumb!"

Geoff said...

With Toni Iommi, Geezer Butler, and BILL WARD backing your ass you can rhyme whatever the hell you want!