Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The Right Stuff

Reading Emily's post today got me thinking about the activism we're likely to face the next four years. "Offensive" is a good word, because that's what's brewing--an all-out offensive designed to destroy the final underpinnings of progressive liberalism in the US. Pat Buchanan's once-ridiculed Culture Warriors are now emboldened and at a feverish pitch to accomplish their wildest dreams. They are mobilized and un-PC and we'll be hearing from them a lot. I say we need to adopt their tactics! They will use any and all means to win legislation in line with their moral beliefs--be prepared to do so to defend yours (of course acknowledging all along the inherent right for reasonable folks to disagree--we want debate, not stereotyping).

By the way, why does a centrist like Kerry (or conservative, Blue Dog Dems like Clinton or Gore for that matter) get labelled a way-out liberal, but rarely do I hear about the actual extremists in the Bush Administration?

I can't comprehend how far to the right this nation has shifted. The discourse is completely out of whack. Post-9/11 John Kerry politically is situated about where Nixon was on the left/right spectrum. Bush is beyond where Goldwater (who in the '60s and '70s was considered beyond the pale of lunacy) was--and his cabinet is getting worse by the minute. Watch for Wolfowitz or Poindexter or Otto Reich (god) to end up at Homeland Security. Last night Conniption and I were chatting about the fact I'd abandoned my electoral high horse and pulled the lever for a schmuck I didn't want in office because the other guy was much worse--and I still feel like shit about it. I couldn't support Ralph again (not after he shamelessly took money and aid from really disgusting rightwing groups while still claiming to eschew corporate contributions for ethical reasons) but I could've gone Libertarian or Green in MD without concern. Eh, what the fuck difference does it make? What's done is done.

But, I feel for some reason optimistic. The pendulum has swung to extremes before, and managed to swing back. One reason I feel optimistic? This project--begun by Em and Co. Support them now, dammit!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you - for the link and other support. Really.

It's all slightly more coherent over at www.wplibaltimore.org than it is at the Livejournal community.

:)

Nick said...

Ha ha!! How do you think I feel? I listened to you instead of staying on the high horse!!!

Geoff said...

Any remaining traces of my credibility lie shredded at your feet.

BWAAAAAAAAHHHH

Nick said...

But--I do agree with you about Nader--WTH?

Also before I forget--totally off topic of course. Two books I would like to see:

A collection of all the mystery novel covers with hidden creepy elements. ex. stack of waffles with a skull made out of syrup on top.

A survey, if you will, of people's ways of wiping their ass. All of the different methods used across a broad spectrum of cultures.

Okay, got that off my chest.

Geoff said...

I used to love looking at those covers when I was lowly Mystery Shelver at Borders. Those and the Romance covers.

Speaking of which (by "which" I mean Romance covers)--I saw 45 minutes of Exorcist III on cable last night, and now I'll have to get it from Netflix. I've only seen it once and parts of it have stuck with me for 13 years--it's arguably Scott's best performance, and there's cameos by all kinds of weird people, including Fabio, Larry King, and Patrick Ewing.

As for ass-wipin', I'm more in the mood for ass-whoopin' today, but I think there's a sociology PhD in that idea.

Nick said...

III--that's the one with the gardening shears toting, dancing on the ceiling, cowled dude, right?

Geoff said...

That's right--but I didn't see any of the "scary" parts last night, only George C. as a cop confronted with bizarre ritual murders.