Sunday, November 14, 2004

More Netflix



Well-acted, funny, and poignant. It's Mike Judge material (Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill), and there are some recognizable Judge flourishes in the dialogue, and a Boomhauer character in the office. This is the first film featuring Jennifer Aniston that I've ever sat through! She's actually good in her fake restaurant waitress portrayal. Judge does a great job lampooning the painful and pithy vacuity of late-phase exhorbitant capitalism, but this is not all nihilism--like King of the Hill often does, the movie gives us hope for redemption. Plus, the soundtrack fucking rocks. You get Biz Markie, Ice Cube, and, best of all a raw fat track from



which ranks as one of my top-ten favorite promo scores at Borders.

It would be easy to say of



that it's been done before--many of its stylistic flourishes are borrowed--but I still found it harrowing and beautiful. What a world! Gangs of street kids killing each other in drug wars, hoping to emulate successful hoods who are doomed to die in Rio's slums. Hell in Paradise, indeed. Makes me ashamed to have thought I had a tough childhood. Based on a true story.

4 comments:

Nick said...

I'm going to take this oppourtunity to plug my favorite Jennifer Aniston film, The Iron Giant . Brad Bird, the director, started out with Disney (fox and the hound), then was exec producer on The Simpsons and King of the Hill (M. Judge connection there also) and now has The Incredibles which I'm dying to see.

Also I'm going to plug By Brakhage because it is almost as good as Prince of Darkness.

Geoff said...

Hey, thanks for the Brakhage link. I'll add it to Netflix.

Iron Giant? Maybe, down the road.

Nick said...

Yeah, let me tell you the Harry Connick Jr/J. Anniston combo made me wary at first. But now--I can hear Vin Diesel robotting "Superman!"-- excuse me I must have something in my eye...

Nick said...

Also--let me know if you get Brakhage and watch "The Act of Seeing with One's
Own Eyes"--I was too chicken to do it!