Friday, April 17, 2009

#76

Seven weeks to go, and I am dialing it in. I feel bad, but the students aren't interested in learning, and no matter what bells and whistles I attach to my lessons they are yukking it up and paying me no mind. This condition is general throughout the building apparently, because the Big Cheese keeps making announcements about "engaging the children." So I'm doing the basics: read this, answer these questions, and if you need help or want to work on your writing come see me up front.

Next week there are a couple days of Science Testing for the No Child Left Behind bullshit; I'm going to teach science on Monday and Tuesday--astronomy on Monday and perhaps some biology on Tuesday--just for shits and giggles. Maybe if I do lavish PowerPoints about that stuff I can get them to stay in their chairs for ten minutes--lavish PowerPoints are no longer working for Language Arts.

Tomcat has been telling all the other sixth graders she's pregnant, but didn't think she was going to keep it. Today she was proudly showing off her new birth control pills. All I can say is use condoms too, girl. Those pills won't keep you healthy.

Report cards went out today. One more term to go. The City wants us to teach Lois Lowry's "The Giver" again, but we don't have the books, and Amazon is charging $7 each for the tiny paperbacks! What a rip-off. I'm going to download it via iTunes and try and get some used copies; I'm loathe to drop $200+ on books the kids are going to hate. I already paid a couple grand in supplies and books this year.

Apparently the program which funded my second MA and teacher certification last year has been shuttered in B'more, and rumor has it they don't even have staff to ensure we do our three year teaching commitment in the City. This means I can take my certified ass out to the County if I choose, without penalty. Oh, so tempting...

No comments: