Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Day 29

Miss October was back in school today after six consecutive absences. She's 11 years old and is a sexual plaything for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade boys. She "parties" with the worst elements of the 8th grade class, and her health is of primary concern to me. I've filed reports with social workers and the counselors in the building in hopes I can get her some assistance. Slowly the bureacracy churns and I'm getting feedback:

"Perhaps I'll show her an STD video," said the counselor.

"Have you held out a carrot instead of using a stick?" asked the psychiatrist.

"Have you asked her to write a reflection on her situation?" asked the teaching mentor.

"Have you contacted her parents?" asked the administrator.

Ugh. I've called her house only to get cussed out by a variety of grown people who are obviously high in the early afternoon. Nobody can tell me who her mother is or whatever. Miss October today was quacking like a duck and barking like a dog in my classroom. This kind of regression scares me to death. She has big circles under her eyes and she is wasting away. I caught a 7th grade boy grabbing her in the hallway and when I confronted him he said "shit, everybody does it. She don't care."

No comments: