Saturday, November 11, 2006

#86



We're still planning to move, but there's less urgency about it now. I'm packing the remaining uncrated half of my library more slowly. This is one of the books I found about which I'd forgotten: one of many 'advanced readers copies' leftover from the bookstore management days. Starting it, I fell so deeply into the first story that I wondered why I hadn't read it long ago. But, as one of Baxter's characters says: "It's funny how books find us when they want us to read them."

An extremely impressive collection of short fiction, capped off by a novella that stands with the absolute best of the form (Barn Burning, The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber, The Jolly Corner). I can't say enough about Baxter's work, so I'll say little--except that I'll be reading much more of his stuff, and sooner rather than later.

No comments: