Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Today's random 'net stumblings

Yeah, I think there's some truth to this, but...I'm not sure I buy it.

I like a bit 'o PRON now and again, however, so this appeases the guilty feelings.

And DaVinci's workshop is found! One of them. Perhaps.

Aside from the great miniseries, the best thing about



(well worth Netflix-ing, BTW) is its inclusion of The Epic That Never Was, which I'd seen late at night on PBS before. What a great little documentary about Korda's aborted von Sternberg-helmed, Charles Laughton/Flora Robson/Merle Obron vehicle! The clips from the film that still exist prove what a devestating loss to cinema this was. The sets! That strange guazed camera effect! Von Sternberg in jodphurs directing Claudius with unlimited monies! Imagine.



What fun that this is on DVD--but why not his Catherine the Great?

4 comments:

Nick said...

Had a lot of coverage to cover tonight--whew. Haven't said much lately because felt like I would just be rambling to myself...pretty pointless. and grouchy.

Anyway, that Leonardo article is fantastic! Did you like his automatron article I mentioned earlier? They also confirmed two prepatory drawings for Michael Angelo's Last Judgement in the Prado but I can find no images anywhere. Earl of P______ tipped me off to the upcoming Rembrandt show at NG--it's going to be the one baby!!!

Tirade # 204 Re: Pr0n; Well, been looking at Pr0n for more than half my life now and I keep wondering if I will get fed up with it. I remember this ceramics teacher Doug on the bus in Rome--I was passing around a pretty offensive erotic comic I found on the street--he sagely intoned "I've seen it all, Man..." The younger art hist prof was aghast at me--what a bolt of terror that was! Why? Shrug.

later

Oh,
http://www.whistlingrecords.com/

Nick said...

Way off topic but...

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19257Ok, the wording is official-- it just looks corny because someone did a mock up of the text to emulate the scrolling motion--Count Dooku???? General Grievous???? WTF? Are they serious--Count DOOKU !!!!!! Man I can't wait--I don't even like the originals but this is going to be a train wreck!!!

Geoff said...

Do you still have the link to that DaVinci automaton? I looked at it before we left, but never got to read through.

Marc J. Hampton said...

His Catherine the Great movie IS on DVD..."Scarlet Empress", from Criterion!