Wednesday, January 12, 2005

That's A-Moari!



I resisted seeing this for quite some time, and not because I thought it would suck, but because I kept reshuffling it beneath other priorities. It's really good; anything with old Pacific Rim legends handled elegantly and with native performers can hold me captive, and here the direction and production and editing and acting and story are all effective. I have a particular fascination with the Maori and those war chants and dances--go All Blacks! This is the best movie with whales in it since



I love whales too.

Call it Zhang Yimou moved a bit south, because at the end if you're not a quavering pile of tears and snot, you're not my wife, who howled down a great cathartic cry at the conclusion of this one.

Those cultchas down unda keep churning out good movies!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Wrath of Khan is the only movie I ever cry at.

--Space Seed

Anonymous said...

Gawd, one more! Acting on a new theory by American robotics designer Mark Rosheim , an Italian team realized a working model of what is now thought to be a premodern robot designed for court amusement , centuries ahead of the automatons of Jacques de Vaucanson and Wolfgang von Klempelen. from Artforum International Dec 2004 p170 Tom Vanderbilt emphasis mine.

--Jasper J. [en]caustically yours.

Anonymous said...

I liked Whale Rider, BUT my commie politics say: it's not empowering to anyone that the pre-ordained dictator of a people turns out to be a girl! Who cares, the people are still being dictated to!

It's possible that I took it too seriously.

Em

Geoff said...

She's not a dictator (dictatrice)! She's elected. By a pod of whales.

Anyway, I'd rather have her than what we end up with in our much-vaunted republic.