Thursday, January 27, 2005

A Giant Sucking Sound



Several people over the years (all of them shall remain nameless) recommended this painfully bad film; I think any jury will acquit me for murdering them if forced to sit through this more-than-two-hour excrement-aganza. It's woefully bad, and not bad in an interesting way--I'd say much worse than seeing Katie Couric's colonoscopy broadcast live on NBC.

Two reasons to see the film:

A) David Bowie's unit
B) A scene in a record store where the Top Sales display features Jim Croce on LP for $4.99.

I mention David Bowie's unit because a lot of people (my wife included) may be enthusiastic about a glimpse--well, let's just say Iman is not a size queen, and there's nothing special about his less-than-Major Tom, so forget it.

As for a science fiction film featuring a scene in a record store with actual datable recordings visible--whatever. I did feel a bit of nostalgia looking at a record store, however, and remembering that Jim Croce was once a huge star was interesting for a second or two.

I don't know what got me through the entire two hours. After the first 45 minutes I wanted to turn it off, but something kept me curious, perhaps some idea that the awful human beings who recommended this to me were right after all, and I simply had to hang in there until the end to "get" it. I stopped watching it after an hour two nights ago and then Cha watched it while I was at work and told me it was stupid, and I watched the rest anyway last night. Terrible, even worse sci-fi than Space: 1999.



2 comments:

Nick said...

That's funny, I just finished reading Stranger in a strange land for the SECOND time and I feel about the same way as you did about MWFTE. Yet I finished it...oh well on to the next!!

Geoff said...

Hey, thanks for the warning. I was thinking about re-reading that.

How did you like the Amber series? I thought about rereading that too. Only made it through volume on of Riverworld on 2nd go.