Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Horsepistol

Got home shortly after 5pm last eve to find Cha trembling on the couch, cheeks the color of pomegranate, hair like scarecrow straw stuck out all over, a blizzard of used Puffs Plus and various sticky tea mugs and cough syrup tablespoon cups upended and covering the coffee table.

Me: Ok, five days of this is enough, especially after antibiotics. Did you call your doctor again?
She: No.
Me: Call him now!
She: He closed at 2pm.
Me: Use the emergency number!

Her temp was 102+ again. Long story short, we were at St. Joe's for 3 hours last night for chest X-rays and blood work and IV sodium fluids and there is no feeling worse than looking at one's spouse miserable in that crappy gown, obviously uncomfortable in that bed with bars on the sides, all along wearing the game face, the jokester's mask, the upbeat tender hopeful fraud, saying silly things while dreading the worst and thinking maudlin despairing thoughts. This is the 2nd time we've had this special joy, and she's only just turned 33!! Goodness. The first time was the worst--the sudden food allergy to mangos that had her in intensive care for 7 hours, but last night was no fun either, and when the doc told me all looked ok and was likely merely severe bronchitis I wanted to do summersaults down the corridor until

Me: I was worried it was dengue fever

The Doc: What's dengue fever?

and I told him and he looked it up online and said they didn't have a test capability for it in this region. But this morning Cha looked much better, and actually smiled for the first time since Honduras. I seem to have defeated the quick fever/cough I had Sunday-Monday morning, and that makes me ecstatic, because again I've not had my annual sinusitis for more than two years now.

Today, I believe, is Ferocity's due date. Wagers? Friday I went to Mick O'Shea's with Yahtzee and Pork Heaven and The Hulk, and The Bus was there with her Hamden chum and another couple--and The Bus ended up sitting alone in her booth much of the time, and I wanted her to join us at the fun table, but The Hulk kept her company briefly and then Yahtzee, though how welcome is it to have The Hulk keep you company when he's systematically working every woman in the room? Pork Heaven was on his best behavior yet, and one of Cha's lesbian dancing buddies approached us and asked us to dance, and we did so, and nobody fell into anything.

Aunty Spy is down here and she and K. are catching each other up on Third Watch, ER, and some other drama about America in the 60s?

Saw a few minutes of Bush's press conference this morning, and he was barking at some reporter who asked him about Gonzalez and torture when a very convenient Emergency Broadcast System test happened. This is the 3rd time I've seen a Bush press conference on Comcast interrupted by one of these, and Bush doesn't have many press conferences. Hmmmm.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad she's feeling better, but jeez louise! And the ER is never, ever fun. I refer to both the actual ER and the show recap.

Anonymous said...

That was Emily. And my bet is Saturday. Don't know why, just a hunch.

Geoff said...

While we were waiting for them to take her blood sample I heard two docs in the hall talking about a blood sample that was positive and how they were going to have to "isolate her" and it was "grave" and I started freaking out until I remembered they hadn't taken her blood yet.

Dork.

Saturday--isn't there a wintry mix due that night!?

Anonymous said...

You are all evil. I want her NOW!
Okay, not this moment, but like today! Tomorrow!
Enough of this horseshit waiting.

Poor poor Cha. I hope the smiles continue.

Geoff said...

Well, maybe at your doctor's appt today--how convenient would that be?

Nick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nick said...

Been in that spot too--with both kid and honey. It's the worst. The last time I remember a patient had broken off their bottom molars opening a bottle. Ow.

Geoff said...

My teeth hurt just reading that.

I figure the only thing worse than a spouse in the ER is a kid in the ER. Jeebus.

Long time no chat--how are you guys? Good holiday?

Nick said...

Doing OK--sorry didn't get a chance to get together over the break. Xmas was great but the new year has kind of sucked--$700 car repair, Uncle Kenny was warming himself and robe caught on fire, passed away from complications few days ago. Not happy.

On the other hand I got in some primo sledding Monday! AND did it with two young HA's (the sledding)--having a flirty cute kid rules!! Of course he was the one actually riding with them, but still--before I was married they usually spit in my face while running off with my heart in their clutches!

Geoff said...

Joyce H. just walked in as I started to type this.

Christ! Everyone's having a shitty January--WTF!? Sorry to hear about your uncle, that's really awful.

We didn't get to do any sledding with the bronchitis and all--probably for the best, though HAs make it all worthwhile.

Saw a lot of HHs in Honduras.