Wednesday, August 10, 2005

L'ennui



I am beyond bored; I've achieved the bored person's equivalent of Nirvana--an altered state of consciousness indeed. For three months my job has provided about 5-6 hours per week of actual tasks. I've been using a lot of personal and vacation time and I still sit here for hours on end, fiddling my thumbs.

Things are ramping up, however, as we head toward the start of the semester. I keep getting orders from academic department liaisons marked "Please RUSH--needed for course in September." I'd like to strangle the faculty who do this shit--you have ALL SUMMER to request these materials, jerkasses! Why wait until the last minute so I have to spend extra tax dollars on rush fees (I spend MD State funds, which come out of MY taxes after all) to make up for your procrastination?

But even though I have some stuff to do, I get it done in like ten minutes. And, because there are no courses offered in August, the Liberry is now closing at 5pm, so we 2nd-shift folk have to work daytime hours like normal humans. The result of this is an awful jet-lag effect. I get to about 1pm and my brain shuts down because I'm used to waking up at 10 and going to work at 1 and suddenly I have to wake up at 7am. This of course has triggered my insomnia. And when we're not open at night, I don't have any Service Desk time; Service Desk time is the justification for my position. Even though I have nothing to do while AT the Service Desk, the fact that I'm there every night from 5:30 until 10:00pm at least makes my presence here necessary in the eyes of the bosses. When I don't have Desk time I can't do what I usually do, ie read four or five books per week AT WORK. This results in L'Ennuivana. What I can do is listen to Dr. Dre, Merle Haggard, and buttloads of Haydn.

Ha. Imus called Rummy a "son of a bitch." That rules.