Tuesday, August 02, 2005

from the Bhagavad-Gita

The Sixteenth Teaching:



Demonic men cannot comprehend
activity and rest;
there exists no clarity,
no morality, no truth in them.




...lost to themselves
with their meager understanding,
these fiends contrive terrible acts
to destroy the world.




Subject to insatiable desire,
drunk with hypocrisy and pride,
holding false notions from delusion,
they act with impure vows.




In their certainty that life
consists in sating their desires,
they suffer immeasurable anxiety
that ends only with death.




...obsessed by desire and anger,
they hoard wealth in stealthy ways
to satisfy their desires.




"I have gained this wish today,
and I shall attain that one;
this wealth is mine,
and there will be more.

I have killed that enemy,
and I shall kill others too;
I am the lord, I am the enjoyer,
successful, strong, and happy.

I am wealthy, and wellborn,
without peer,
I shall sacrifice, give, rejoice."


So say men deluded by ignorance.

These hateful, cruel, vile
men of misfortune, I cast
into demonic wombs
through cycles of rebirth.