Monday, May 16, 2005

Dream

So I've been reading this book on Tibetan "dream yoga" and one of the practices recommended in order to achieve lucid dreaming is to continuously say to oneself throughout the day: THIS IS A DREAM. I did so yesterday every 30 minutes or so, and when I fell asleep last night I had a dream that I was in my paternal grandparents' house in Stewartstown, PA. Strangely, I said to myself THIS IS A DREAM in the dream, and then sat down and made a list of my sins on a yellow legal pad. I sat in that tattered old Laz-y-Boy Grandma used to lounge in whilst smoking her pipe and watching people drive by on Main Street. When I woke up I had no memory of dreaming at all, but remembered the dream later in the day when I sat down to make a list of things I had to do today.

It wasn't, however, a "lucid" dream, because that wasn't actually "me" taking control of my actions during the dream. Rather, it was me dreaming I was having a lucid dream. I mean, yeah, of course, all the stuff that happens in a dream is ME somehow, but not the conscious ME I am when I'm awake, whatever "awake" is.

Were I to actually have a "lucid" dream in my grandparent's house I'd explore it instead of sitting down and writing up a list of my sins. The first things I'd check are:

  • Is that old push-botton lightplate from the teens still in the hallway?
  • Are those paint spatters on the wood floor under the bookcase still there? Grandma G. used to freak me out by telling me they were "spider poop"
  • Is that outlet under the telephone table still blackened from the time I jammed a skeleton key in it?
  • Is the barn converted to a garage still out back, and is there still hay inside the tiny door where Soupy the dog used to live?