Saturday, October 24, 2009

#40



Again Jack Vance writes an imaginative tale worthy of Calvino's Cosmicomics. Rhialto the Marvelous is another rip-roaring flexion of imaginative muscle, and the intergalactic and interdimensional adventures of its eponymous hero are a hoot. We follow him on a quest through time, the courts, and out to the boundaries of Nothing and Nowhere, but Rhialto is no Cugel, and I found this last installment of the Dying Earth books the least of them. Of course the least of a fine batch of wines is also a fine wine, and therefore the book is a worthy entertainment.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Looking good my man! See you were working on your drawing skills down below there.

So you liked David B, eh? Me too, me too. I also like him way better n Ware, but amazingly I still haven't read Satrapi even though it's on our shelf.

I know you've limited time but here's two more recommendations:

The Girl from H.O.P.P.E.R.S. by Jaime Hernandez

Heartbreak Soup by Gilbert Hernandez

Gotta try the Hernandez Bros. Probably the best American comic artists in my book second only to Charles Schulz.


Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli

Problems with the structure, but made up for by the heart of the story. Think you might find the husband wife relationship interesting--I sure did!