Wednesday, November 26, 2008

netflixed



Crikey! It's like Tobe Hooper and Peter Weir got together down unda to make a horror show.

Yes, the standard cliches of the genre are here in droves, but Wolf Creek is nonetheless a merciless flick that had me clutching uncomfortably at couch cushions. The poor Mrs. was taken aback by the tricky calm opening; not since Audition has a movie so severely punished me for my gullibility. I admit to falling for the its initial premise, which lulled me into a certain series of expectations which proved dreadfully wrong. Of course it's this trickery which prevents Wolf Creek from merely being a Texas Chainsaw rip-off. Not for the faint of heart.

[nod to Steven Hart for the tip]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not for the faint of heart, indeed. I'd like to go on record saying that Matt started CRYING at one point and had to leave the room. He never came back. And he didnt speak to me for the rest of the weeekend.

I had to listen to the audio commentary afterward. I had to convince myself it was only a movie. It was such a relief to hear the actors lauging about how audiences walked out.

I put it in the same category with Audition and Irreversible. That category is "Dont Need To See his Again."