Saturday, April 29, 2006

Netflix



Step aside, Cocteau--I might have a new favorite French filmmaker. Like all great fables, Eyes Without a Face is beautiful, sad, and monstrous at once. A dash of Surrealism adds unique humor to the mix. I loved every second. The creepy pre-Halloween dispassionate mask worn by the heroine? Delicious. This arthouse horror/sci-fi blend hasn't dated a bit, even though the French now actually can transplant faces.

Included on the DVD are several bonus bits, the most fantastic of which is Franju's first film, called Blood of the Beasts--a harrowing Surrealist documentary of Paris abattoirs that is in itself one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. I guarantee that Tobe Hooper saw this before making his magnum opus--I knew it after the first frames, before the butchering even commenced.

No comments: