Sunday, April 24, 2005

Netflix



I'm a sucker for this kind of maudlin "life not lived" film; C.S. Lewis--despite his successful academic career and growing celebrity as a writer of juvenile fictions--finds himself aged and living out the Henry James story The Beast in the Jungle. To spare him the fate of living vicariously through reading alone, and offering him risk, love, hope, the nasty, and all that other good stuff, The Universe presents him one Joy Gresham, and Lewis gets more than he bargained for. He must test his thoughts about suffering and perfection and God, and we get to watch the incomparable Anthony Hopkins at the height of his skill in the role of old C.S. I've wanted to see this film for ten years and never had, but at a point in my life when I needed to see it the Netflix envelope arrived.



There is no better film than this. I need say nothing more about it. If you haven't seen it, I pity you.