Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Decisions, decisions....

A few months back, wholly on a whim, I applied to the U of Md's PhD in Lit program. I figured "well, with tuition remission I can take a course a semester and see how it goes."

Today I got a letter from MD accepting me into the Master's in Lit program. Apparently the English Department at U of Md has decided to class my MA in English from Temple University as an MFA, even though it's accredited as an MA with a concentration in writing, and instead of telling me to fuck off, they knocked my ap down to the MA level. I tried to protest this classification of my MA to no avail.

Sigh. Now I've got to decide if I want to go through another 1.5 to 2 years of graduate work in order to possibly go get a PhD that I'm not sure I want anyway:

  • there's no guarantee I'll get into the U of MD PhD program in two years even if I kick ass in the MA program
  • I'm really, really enjoying not being a teacher right now--and what else can one do with further graduate work in the Humanities?
  • I like reading what I want to read instead of what some Prof tells me I should read
  • If I went ahead and did this program now and got into the PhD program down the road, the soonest I could complete my doctorate would be 2012--I'd be 43. 2012 is the end of the Mayan calendar anyway, when the Earth descends into fiery chaos; having a PhD won't help me fend for myself in a post-apocalyptic landscape.
  • It is free for me to go, dammit. Why not drive down there once or twice a week? I like talking about books and writing bullshit papers.
  • I hate driving to College Park
  • My work schedule is such that it overlaps with all the graduate English classes offered at MD--I'd have to go to work three hours early, leave around 1pm, drive to College Park, sit through class, and drive back to Towson to work until 10pm. Fuck that.
  • I could quit my job and go back to teaching as an adjunct--NOT!

I've got some decidin' to do. Fortunately, I've got until September to make my decision--they don't need to hear from me until the first day of class. I can always say I'm going and then drop out later as well, given that it's free.