Monday, July 30, 2007

RIP







Working through Bergman's catalog on Netflix has been one of my great pleasures over the past few years. A couple dozen films not in Netflix's warehouse remain, and I look forward to tracking them down.

Ingmar has rejoined Sven Nyquist on the other side.

Here is Bergman in 2004:

"I don't watch my own films very often. I become so jittery and ready to cry ... and miserable. I think it's awful."


I too often become jittery and ready to cry and miserable watching his films. Bergman often challenged us painfully with shocking honesty and unbearably intense intimacy. I thank him. Perhaps the greatest artist in cinema history? If not, definitely a premiere member of a tiny elite.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. Knew it was coming soon, but still. Cinema's loss.

Geoff said...

Bergman now knows what's on the other side. Or he has become nothing and knows nothing. Either way it likely amuses him.