Friday, March 09, 2007

The Moral Majority

Newt Gingrich--who recently admitted he was engaged in an extramarital affair while enthusiastically pursuing impeachment during Monica Gate--justified himself thusly:

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials."
That sinuously evasive logic won't get you through the eye of the needle, Newt. You took it upon yourself to cast the first stone, which is contrary to the tenets of your belief system. Or is that belief system merely a facade contrived to fool the Christers and pulpit-thumpers?

Which paragon of family values will win the Republican nomination? I don't care how many affairs or divorces a presidential candidate has--but outright hypocrisy I can't condone. Gingrich hasn't announced yet of course, but I'm sure he'll join his fellow divorced adulterers soon.

No comments: