Monday, September 27, 2004

Time for class...

I am so bored at work that it's driving me mad. At least after my break, when everyone has gone home, I can stop pretending to be doing work and can grade papers or read. I don't know how much longer I can stand this--I'll have to ask for some cataloging or else go off the deep-end.

I don't like being bored at work; the sinecure is not my cup of tea, though I guess I could find a way to adjust at least for a little while. I'm used to getting a new job and targeting the promotion I want and getting it (usually quickly). Here, there's no advancement of that sort; it's a State job. There's a bunch of stuff I could do right now, and it needs to be done, but I might piss someone off so I'm not allowed to do any of it (in fact I was told specifically by higher ups NOT to do anything about backed-up shelving, or to innovate any type of possible solutions). So at our meeting with Y. and M. next week, when Y. slyly suggests that none of us have anything to do, I'm going to say "you're right! I don't have a goddam thing to do." The tedium is getting so bad that when I saw on the front page of The Jeffersonian that Borders was opening a store in the old Caldor building in Linthicum, I thought "hmmmm, $50k would sure be nice again."

Oh, God, no.

Cha is dropping hints that she's not happy with my schedule. Yesterday she went to the Renaissance Festival and said when I came home "it sure would have been nice if you were with me." My response was "Well, even if I were off, I wouldn't have gone--I prefer the one in Mt Hope PA, and we went there ten years in a row and I'm pretty much done with the whole thing."

"But we could have done something else if you were off."

True. But I can't go back to the part-time teaching/part-time something else thing. I mean I could, but I'd prefer not to. Bah!

Time to head to French class for George Sand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, NEVER GO BACK TO RETAIL, ARE YOU INSANE??????????????????? Yes, the quick promotions are nice, but NO! NO NO!

Why is everyone there so weird about doing extra stuff?

Also: I have to laugh when I think about the "truck to floor in 24" thing. At my job I am processing some books with a "here's what you do with these" note from FEBRUARY. And no matter how fast the cataloguers work, circulation is not supposed to be taxed with more than 2 carts of books per week. Hilarious!

- Em

Geoff said...

I have no plans to go back to retail--but I mentioned it for the sake of honesty--the idea crossed my mind when I saw the headline in the paper.

I wonder if all those poor suckas who DID go back to retail (and in particular 043) planned on doing so?

I just need to relax. I have to deprogram all that bullshit about efficiency and TTF in 24 and not letting work pile up while some of us are sitting on our hands--all that shit needs to get filed away. I have no interest in supervising ANYONE EVER AGAIN. I don't want to look at schedules or spreadsheets or HR paperwork or inventory or loss prevention stuff--EVER.

Soon enough I'll get a cart of hateful gift books from some awful foundation and I'll spend hours doing tedious and laborious and loathesome cataloging; then I'll post about how I hate when I have work to do. Any day now I'll get my monthly purchasing statement to reconcile; that'll fill a half day.

The Poet works at MIT Press as a Senior Editorial Asst. and writes poetry and edits his journal on the job. Maybe I need to do some work that's not work while I'm at work. Typically at the service desk I read what I'm teaching the next day and grade assignments.