Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Nick burned Radiohead's



for me. I think it's pretty ok, but I'm mostly done with this type of trippy, pseudo-psychedelic, post-punk prog rock. King Crimson and Pink Floyd--two bands I really liked at one time but which make me cringe when I hear them now (ok, I still like some Crimson stuff) mined this vein to its conclusion. Radiohead has better technology, and some tecno/trance updates are appealing, but I'm not really blown away by it. It's pretty listenable, and catchy, but I'm not particularly enthused. There are mind-trips here worth checking out, but I can't see myself listening to this avidly in the future. It'll likely disappear into my stack of burned CDs. Plus, (imagine this in a "Get offa my lawn" type Old Fogey Voice): I can't understand a goddam word out of the dude's mouth! If I want to listen to rock n roll, I'll pick up '70s Black Sabbath or ZZ Top instead.

9 comments:

Nick said...

I thought about it.

And I tried to write a fair response, but Radiohead are a steaming TURD of a band.

Geoff said...

I won't diss them that much because I've only heard the one CD, but after listening to this one I'll call them "not quite forgettable." Julio really likes this and Ok, Computer. Eh.

Anonymous said...

This just made me want to listen to the CD, no matter what you fogies say.
~Ferocity

Geoff said...

you can borrow mine...I have it downstairs.

Nick said...

At first I was just disinterested and bored by them. Then they started name dropping Messiaen around the time Kid A came out. C'mon, I had to take a side! Cretins!! see link for further evidence...

http://www.stylusmagazine.com/feature.php?ID=312

I'm not a fogey! I like the Scissor Sisters!!!

Nick said...

Butt I am a Fogerty!

Geoff said...

And I AM a fogey!

Nick said...

So appalled you had to post it twice!

Nobody can beat Jon Dough. Not even P. North can shoot two streams at once.

Geoff said...

Even when he had his long Scott Moses mullet and Joe F. belly he was still The Man. I remember opening the Room Service menu in a Zurich hotel and there was a full-page color photo of JD with Asia Carrera advertising the in-room movies.

Somewhere I have an mpeg of JD and PN simultaneously unleashing--it's like the firebombing of Dresden, to make a wholly despicable analogy.