Monday, June 15, 2009

Awesome



The Wire and Deadwood are my fave all-time TV shows, but this curious drama about ad executives and their families and the early '60s is teetering the others toward a precipice. I don't want to talk about Don Draper because if you've not seen the show, i might give too much away, but I love the way Mad Men moves through conventional TV narrative for a while and then suddenly we get hints and flash-backs about the main character's surprising past. I love the sets, the costumes, the cast, and can't wait for season 3 on DVD on some far-in-the-future date...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen season 2 yet, but really enjoyed Season 1. Also, Mad Men is good icebreaker material when talking to old-timer ad people at lunch: most of the senior people remember how things *used* to be, and have stories to tell. Cleaned up in the 90s, so I have no personal experience, but ad executives were famous partyers up until the 80s.

Have often heard that new business was won by taking a client out to lunch with a copy of the "rate card", one came back to the office hammered, but with a new account. Nowadays it's the much more prosaic "let me show you a PowerPoint deck on my laptop". Snore…

Unrelated, mostly, but a recent edition of AdAge mentioned how many agencies were moving their main European HQ in Amsterdam. Hmmmm

Geoff said...

Winning clients with 'coffee'?