Monday, July 14, 2008

netflixed



I'd not seen Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet since 9th grade English class. Miss Weissman cried when she showed it to us and we laughed at her. Let's just say it's a good thing my students couldn't see me after I watched it last night.

It's funny to know what's coming and still be caught up in the action. I found the fight sequences between Tybalt and Mercutio and Tybalt and Romeo unbearably tense despite knowing the outcome.

There are moments which fall flat, and the swelling soundtrack is often unctuous, but much of the film holds up. The enthusiasm of the young actors saves the day.

The actors are good, but of course the true stars of the show are barely restrained by Olivia Hussey's costumes.

Now I'm going to get Zeffirelli's Mel Gibson-driven Hamlet. Haven't seen that for a while either.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Man, you are so right. Saw this in Freshman English, too (what gives? They'd never dare nowadays), and whenever I come across a reference to it, I immediately think of those gorgeous, pendulous boobies.