Tuesday, July 29, 2008

chicken adobo


chicken adobo, originally uploaded by Blog-Sothoth.

Even before her stroke my mother-in-law was saying that she was tired of cooking. Now she'll help when we cook but she's otherwise not interested. She prefers going out and getting some fresh lake trout.

So when I crave chicken adobo or another Filipino dish I have to make it myself. Adobo is pretty simple. I doubt my approach is traditional, but I like the results.

I cube boneless and skinless chicken breasts a couple days before cooking and marinate them in a mixture of beer, white vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and spices. When I am ready to cook I use a deep frying pan and bring a mix of white vinegar and soy sauce to a boil. I add garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns (and habeneros--traditional adobo is tangy and NOT hot--but I like a bit of kick). Then I add the chicken and simmer and stir regularly until cooked thoroughly. It is important not to over-cook the chicken or it will become tough. Serve over rice.

Bon appetit!

No comments: