Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Back East



I've seen this before, perhaps three or four times, but it had been at least 12 or 13 years. Amazingly, I recalled the first three "dreams" (Sunshine through the Rain, The Peach Orchard, and The Blizzard) completely, but had absolutely no memory of the rest of the film.

I think that's because Kurosawa's Dreams was one of the films we used to watch after eating peanut butter and psilocybin sandwiches.

The first three are the best--evocative, mysterious, technically masterful. The rest are akin to really preachy Serling Twilight Zone episodes done with the garish color and outlandish sets of the original Star Trek (this is not necessarily a negative criticism!). My favorite bit is Scorcese's cameo as Van Gogh--as soon as I heard that voice I started to laugh my ass off!